I’ve had really crummy quality audio clips from Wayne’s World as my phone notification sounds for years — thought it was time I make my own better ones from my DVD, and publish them online for other people who also want their phone to go “schwing!” for every Whatsapp. 😉
I’ve had a FiiO E7 headphone amp for a few years and it’s recently gained a new lease of life — as an audio interface for my LG G3! Sadly, the has G3 shockingly bad audio quality from its onboard 3.5 mm output – riddled with noise, fuzz/hiss and audible aliasing and distortion. This is likely due to poor design from LG in an effort to power save, combined with a latent bug in Android relating to how it scales audio samples, the latter sounding like it’s aliasing audio in a certain range of gain due to it internally resampling or something stupid like that. My old Galaxy S3 LTE running Cyanogenmod 10 (4.2.2) sounded amazing, I wish it hadn’t died!
ANYWAY! Recent builds of Android (I’m running 5.1) include a provision for audio-via-USB, enabled by default on most devices, so hooking up a micro-to-mini USB cable between the phone and the E7 gives you blissfully great audio quality.
So, I dug mine out of a cupboard – with a flat battery, of course – and charged it up. Soon after, the battery got fat and decided to push the front of the screen out… Ok, time to replace the battery! Continue reading →
Over the past decade, I’ve occasionally put together mixes of tunes I particularly enjoy listening to, and stick them on the net. (Why not.)
A somewhat ad hoc series I called ‘Gunpowder Funk’ arose from a Drumfunk/choppage/darkbeat mix I did back in 2005. I ended up doing annually for the next three years, culminating in Gunpowder Funk Part 4.
I really like the track selection and the mixing on this (conceited? possibly! but I did all these mixes live, no pre-planning except picking the tracks I wanted to play and putting them in a pile by the decks), there’s a lot of serendipitous moments and lovely track blends going on.
01) Fracture & Neptune – Apollo (SUBTLE009)
02) Macc – A8V (BRK07)
03) Fracture & Neptune – Wrong Think (BB1224)
04) Fanu – I Play It Cooler (SUBTLE005)
05) Equinox – Do You Understand Me? (ZIQ134)
06) Fracture & Neptune – Untightled (BRK04)
07) Fanu – For Those Who Dream (LIGHTLESS001)
08) John Rolodex – Amenizm (Part 1) (PI007)
09) Alaska – Ancestral (AM001)
10) Equinox – Breakestral Ting (ZIQ134)
11) Seba & Paradox – Wakeup Call (featuring Robert Manos) (SECOPS006)
12) Fracture & Neptune – Too Doggone Funky (INP011)
13) Fracture & Neptune – Our Sound (SE4001)
14) Fracture & Neptune – Venture (featuring Martin Fieber) (MEDIC3)
15) Seba & Paradox – Time Starts Now (HZN022)
16) Breakage – Prophecy (SW002)
17) Paradox – Incubate (PM018)
18) Alaska – Atka (AM004)
19) Breakage – Panic Room (INP014)
20) dgoHn – Elle (SUBTLE008)
21) Kjell – Cloud Thirty (COL03)
22) Outrage & Aperture – Love Like Blood (featuring Kirsty Hawkshaw) (WA001)
23) Senses – Babylon (BB1218)
23) Dub-One – Volcon (XA010)
Other mixes (including Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3) are available online (their tracklistings are embedded in the ID3 comment tag, or available online if you search). (There’s also a Bad Company mix (tracks from the Shot Down on Safari album, as the mix which came with the album was so bad), a Current Value mix and an all-classics mix if you’re feeling adventurous.)
Following on from the Virgin Media street cab article, I came across a PCP last week with the doors left unlocked (and wide open to the elements!) I phoned it in to Openreach and it’s already fixed, but as I had my camera…
This is a ‘vintage’ BT street cabinet, so no FTTC VDSL equipment. Still hoping to grab some close-up snaps of one of those, though given the cost of equipment in them I doubt I’d find an open one which wasn’t vandalised. Who knows…
Hello, thanks for stopping by the personal web site of Christopher Woods. These days, you can find him running many sites, but as this was his first domain name it seemed appropriate to give it a lick of paint and tidy it up a bit.
On this site you can find details of the other sites I run / maintain, links to friends' web sites and some professional info (CV, LinkedIn details etc) - whatever doesn't fit in elsewhere. If you want to get in touch with me, you can find my email address on the Contact page.